Taking care of a newborn means I have less and limited time to spend on other stuff including baking treats. However I still wanted to make something special for Christmas. And this recipe is just what I need to celebrate the season. The spices, the cranberries, the clementines, everything about these muffins screams Christmas.
The original recipe calls for demerara sugar for the topping, but I made streusel instead coz I always think streusel-topped muffins are extra special, and Christmas is just the occasion for special treats.
Christmas Morning Muffins
250 grams plain flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
100 gr caster sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
2 clementines, zested and juiced
approx. 125 ml milk
75 ml vegetable oil
1 large egg
150 gr dried cranberries
40 gr butter
50 gr plain flour
45 gr caster sugar
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1. Make the crumble topping by mixing flour and sugar together then rubbing in the butter with your fingers until it has a crumb like texture.
2. Preheat oven to 180′ C.
3. Thoroughly mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl, except sugar and dried cranberries.
4. In another bowl, beat sugar and wet ingredients until sugar has dissolved.
5. Add the liquid mixture to the dry ingredients and roughly combine them. Add dried cranberries and mix in very carefully so as not to break up the fruit.
6. Fill in paper cases 2/3 full then sprinkle the crumble mixture on top. Bake for approximately 25 minutes.