When you live far away from home, and you want something that isn’t easily available to you, you don’t have a choice but to make it yourself. Sometimes it’s the only way, sometimes it’s just way better than buying the inauthentic stuff from the restaurant.
So whenever I feel like having a quintessential Indonesian Mie Ayam Jamur ( chicken and mushroom noodle soup ) I would make it myself. To complement the dish, sometimes I would make some wonton, other times when I could not be bothered, I would just grab store-bought beef meatball. Easy peasy!
Mie Ayam Jamur
( Chicken and Mushroom Noodle Soup )
250 gr egg noodle
1 chicken breast, diced
250 gr cup mushroom
2 tbs vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic
1 tbs sweet soy sauce
1 tbs oyster sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
2 tbs scallion
2 bunches bok choy
salt and pepper to taste
1 tbs soy sauce
2 tsp sesame oil
pepper, to taste
2 tbs scallion
meatballs or wonton
chicken / beef stock
1. Heat the vegetable oil in a wok over medium heat. Add garlic and scallion and stir and cook for about 2 minutes or until fragrant.
2. Add the chicken. Stir until chicken is half-cooked, add mushroom followed by oyster sauce and sweet soy sauce. Keep stirring and tossing to coat the chicken and mushrooms evenly. Simmer over low heat for another 10 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and the ingredients have absorbed the sauce. Add sesame oil. Taste. Season with more salt and pepper if necessary.
3. Bring a large pot of water to boil and cook the noodles according to package directions. Drain in a colander and rinse with cold water to remove starches.
4. In each of two bowls, add half the soy sauce, half the sesame oil. Season with pepper.
5. Divide the noodles into the bowls. Top with the chicken-mushroom mixture, bok choy and meatballs / wonton. Garnish with green onions.
6. Serve with chicken / beef stock garnished in a separate bowl.