It’s a nice and quiet Saturday morning and I was feeling like baking a cake for breakfast. Oh yes, I’m that kind of girl who eats cake for breakfast. But to my defense, this apple cake is the perfect breakfast cake. It is light and fluffy and topped with juicy apple slices and cinnamon sugar. So good, especially when it’s warm. I wouldn’t mind having this cake for breakfast every day. I would imagine this goes perfectly together with coffee, but this morning I paired it with delicious apple berry smoothie. Yummilicious!
Apple Coffee Cake
Adapted from Simply Recipes
1 cup plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar
80 gr unsalted butter
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 190′ C.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
3. In a separate small bowl, mix 1/4 a cup of the sugar with the cinnamon, set aside.
4. Using an electric mixer, beat the butter with the remaining 1/4 cup sugar. Beat in the egg until blended. Add the flour mixture in three additions, alternating with the milk, beating after each addition until just combined.
5. Pour batter in the bottom of the baking dish. Lay the apple slices on the batter so they just cover the batter. Sprinkle the apples with the cinnamon-sugar mixture, reserving a teaspoon or two to sprinkle on top. Sprinkle the remaining cinnamon-sugar on top.
6. Bake the cake for 25 minutes or until it is golden brown.
Apple Berry Smoothie
1/2 cup frozen mixed berry
1 cup almond milk
Blend all ingredients and enjoy!